HomeSportErik ten Hag shuts down Mason Greenwood question at press conference

Erik ten Hag shuts down Mason Greenwood question at press conference


Erik ten Hag refused to answer questions on Mason Greenwood at his Manchester United press conference.

Greenwood was released by United on Monday after a six-month investigation into his conduct.

3

Greenwood was released by United on MondayCredit: Getty

Having been internally suspended since January 2022, the striker saw rape and sexual assault charges dropped in February earlier this year.

On August 16, it was reported that Man United staff had been told to prepare for the potential return of Greenwood to first-team training.

There had been reports that Ten Hag was keen for the 21-year-old to return to the club.

But the Red Devils coach refused to disclose his opinion on the matter when asked by reporters on Friday.

Mason Greenwood offered £10m-a-year move abroad to link up with Liverpool legends
Unnamed Albanian club place interest in outgoing Man United forward Mason Greenwood

“We are not where we want to be with our team, A lot of focus on my team so focus on the players who are available,” Ten Hag said.

“I only have statements about our performance.

“I have a lot of focus on my team so I focus on the players who are available.

“We are not where we want to be with our team. I have to do everything to get the team performing.”

Ten Hag refused to be drawn into questions over Greenwood

3

Ten Hag refused to be drawn into questions over GreenwoodCredit: Getty
Greenwood had been suspended by United since January 2022

3

Greenwood had been suspended by United since January 2022Credit: Getty

When pressed further on whether he had spoken to Greenwood during the investigation, Ten Hag remained coy.

“I focus on the current squad and the players who are available,” he reiterated.

United released a statement over Greenwood and insisted the striker had done nothing wrong.

Nevertheless, they had mutually decided it would be best if he left the club.

A part of the statement read: “All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United.

“It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”

Greenwood also released a statement, which partly read: “Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me.”

Since departing, Greenwood has already been linked with clubs including an unnamed Albanian team while a feud with Cristiano Ronaldo has appeared to pour cold water over a Saudi Arabian transfer.

United take on Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford on Saturday and are in need of a win after a dire display against Tottenham last week.

But they will be without Luke Shaw, who is facing a longer spell out injured than initially feared.

talkSPORT football match centre

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Manchester United fixtures and results and live Premier League standings in our new match centre.





Source

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments

site site site site site site site site site site site site site