Three British holidaymakers have been arrested on suspicion of raping a woman at a Magaluf hotel less than a fortnight after an alleged gang rape of a UK tourist in the Spanish resort town.
Police in Majorca confirmed this afternoon the three men had been held as they tried to board a flight to Manchester.
The woman who raised the alarm, who well-placed sources also said is British, is claiming she may have been drugged. Tests are ongoing for any traces of suspicious substances.
A spokesman for the Civil Guard, confirming the arrests today at a hotel in the municipality of Calvia, which Magaluf is part of, said: ‘The Civil Guard has arrested three young men as the suspected authors of a crime of sexual aggression on a woman at a hotel in Calvia.
‘This morning a central response unit received an alert about a possible sexual aggression form a hotel in the municipality.
Police in Majorca confirmed this afternoon the three men had been detained as they tried to board a flight to Manchester. Pictured: Magaluf
‘A police patrol went to the hotel and spoke to a young tourist who told them she had been raped in the early hours of this morning by men she had met the night before.
‘She also said she had suffered chemical submission, given that she felt completely unwell possibly because of the consumption of some type of drug.
‘She said she didn’t know the identity of the alleged aggressors, just the nickname one of them used on a social network.’
Explaining she had been taken to hospital so further tests could take place, the spokesman added: ‘Officers identified the alleged aggressors who had just abandoned the hotel with the intention of taking a flight back to their home country.
‘They were arrested at Palma Airport minutes before they boarded a flight to Manchester.’
A number of alleged rapes of British women have rocked Magaluf (pictured) and other resort hotspots this summer
It comes after eight men were arrested over the alleged gang rape of a Brit teenager. Six are in custody in Mallorca and two are expected to be extradited shortly from France. Seven of the suspects, aged 18 to 26, are French and the other man is a Swiss national.
Spanish authorities revealed this week that the eight men did not know each other prior to the alleged gang-rape.
The girl fled a hotel room at around 5am on August 14, telling police she had woken up surrounded by young people holding mobile phones.
Officers later identified three men by ringing the girl’s phone, which it was claimed had been stolen during the ordeal.
It comes as MailOnline revealed the ‘horrifying’ rapes that have rocked Europe this summer. As of August 20, at least nine British tourists and one Irish woman were victims of alleged rapes and sex attacks
Katie Kempen, Chief Executive at the charity Victim Support, said the reports are ‘horrifying’ and women should be free to enjoy themselves without the fear of being attacked.
Ms Kempen said: ‘Recent accounts of rape and sexual violence experienced by British women while on holiday abroad are horrifying. Whether in the UK or elsewhere in the world, women and girls should have the freedom to enjoy themselves without the fear of being attacked or assaulted.’
The Foreign Office said it has provided additional training to staff to better support victims.