The growth of the word commerce is particularly noticeable in today’s globalised economy. The numbers of companies engaged in both manufacturing and import/export are rising rapidly. Hence, whether your company is a producer, importer, or exporter, it must still follow certain compliance and regulatory criteria. Before releasing your product or service to the public, you must ensure that it complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
With the passage of the BIS Act in 1986, the BIS was founded as a nationalised standard organisation. This is an all-encompassing system that is crucial to maintaining the product’s quality, safety, security, and the confidence of buyers. Hence, the BIS will let the producer, the importer, or the exporter to put their mark on the day’s supply.
While obtaining a BIS licence is technically optional, the Indian government has mandated that some types of items be certified as meeting their strict requirements. This relates to digital gadgets and computer hardware. Thus, when we talk about the BIS certification, we are talking about something that’s subject to stringent quality and regulation checks.
Any questions concerning the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) certification, its definition, and its licencing process will be answered here.
The advantages of BIS registration for electronics are as follows:
- BIS-registered items are required to adhere to specific guidelines throughout production, guaranteeing consistently high quality.
- BIS certification ensures that products are of the highest quality and dependability.
- Because BIS has banned the use of certain chemicals and materials within its defined rules, the use of BIS-certified products reduces environmental concerns.
- Samples of goods are tested in BIS-established labs before registration is issued, guaranteeing thorough quality control and a consistently high standard of manufacture.
BIS certification (Scheme-I) is mandatory for specific product categories. In all, BIS certification is required for 380 goods. Obtaining optional BIS certification for items is an option for any producer that want to signal to consumers that their wares meet rigorous quality requirements.
Under the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS), the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has mandated that certain electrical and IT products be registered with BIS.
The licencing and monitoring phases of BIS registration are standard. The phases of the BIS registration process are as follows:
- The application for BIS registration is made by the makers.
- An official from the BIS will conduct a preliminary inspection at the plant.
- The product samples will be examined after the inspection is complete.
- Once the examination is complete, the BIS agent will determine a conclusion.
Once the inspection is complete, the officer in charge of the survey will go on to the surveillance phase of the audit. The surveillance procedure entails the following actions:
- The inspection agency will conduct an on-site inspection and verification of test findings.
- The samples will be sent to third-party labs for analysis by the inspecting officer.
- The complainant will get feedback or a summary of the inquiry in the form of a test report.
- The evaluation of performance will be written up.
- After the report has been evaluated, the BIS permit is issued.
- Proof of the applicant’s and the factory’s name and address.
- Proof that the manufacturing unit has been set up, such as a Certificate of Incorporation or Registration, Memorandum of Agreement, etc.
- Certificate for SSI or MSME
- Information about putting the production process out to bid
- Layout plan Plan of where the plant will be
- Detailing the flow of the manufacturing process List of the machines that were used
- List of tools and places for testing
- Getting things just right Test certificates for equipment
- As per the Indian Standards, a test report from a third-party lab
- If the Application is signed by a person with the right to do so, an authorization letter from the CEO in the name of the person with the right to sign must also be sent.
- For overseas or foreign producers, the information of the Indian Agent and Nomination Form are given.
- The PCB Layout, Schematic Diagrams, User Manual, and Critical Components are all examples of technical information about a product. List
- Receipt of acknowledgment
- Letter of Consent from CEO of Company Undertaking and Affidavit with ID In the case of a foreign or abroad producer, proof and the signature of an Indian representative who has been given permission to do so.
- Original Test Reports from BIS Laboratory Undertaking that are linked to the test report
BIS certifications are good for a period of two years. If there has been no alteration to the product and the established criteria, the certification holder may apply to have their licence renewed. After being renewed, a BIS certificate is good for anywhere from one to five years.
Depending on the kind of product you want to register, Interslice can provide you general advice and help you gain BIS certification. We also provide complete consulting services for anyone looking to earn their BIS accreditation. Our group consists of experts in their fields. We also serve as a legal advisor to businesses.