Dana White has shut down another Conor McGregor comeback rumour.
On Sunday, ‘Notorious’ posted a screenshot allegedly taken from the UFC’s official website that suggested he will headline alongside Michael Chandler on December 16.
The image, which had already been shared by fans online, seemingly confirmed McGregor and Chandler would headline White’s final pay-per-view show of the year.
According to the UFC boss, McGregor and MMA fans have been duped.
“I don’t know how that got out or whatever, it wasn’t from Fight Pass,” White told reporters after the Contender Series on Tuesday.
“My team was telling me it was AI, it wasn’t real. If that wasn’t the case, you would have heard it from us first. You would have got a report from me on Instagram.”
UFC 296 is currently without a main event and White continues to field questions about his biggest star headlining a show before the end of the year.
“I have no clue, we’ll see how this plays out,” he said when asked if McGregor could still fight in December.
McGregor hasn’t fought since breaking his leg during a trilogy bout with Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in 2021, but he is fully fit and booked to face Michael Chandler.
The 35-year-old has repeatedly claimed he will return before Christmas but his boss recently suggested it’s likely ‘Mystic Mac’ will make his comeback in 2024.
“They’re not going to let me fight in December, ladies and gentlemen,” McGregor responded in a series of Twitter voice notes.
“I’m ready. I wanted the announcement. I’ve given everything. It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. I thought we [confirmed it] but turns out, maybe it’s not so much.
“I hold the power and I’m going to keep doing my thing. I’m in a great spot and I’ll see yous all soon.”
As fans started to accept they won’t see McGregor compete in 2023, the UFC superstar got them excited once again by claiming ‘December is back on the table.’
Since then, the MMA icon has gone quiet, and fans have been waiting with bated breath for a proper update from White who remains tight-lipped about UFC 296.
It’s just a matter of time before McGregor’s immediate fighting future becomes clear.