Southampton welcome fellow relegated side Leicester to the South Coast on Friday evening – exclusively live on talkSPORT 2.
Saints fell to an embarrassing 5-0 loss against Sunderland in their final game before the international break to lose their unbeaten start.
And Russell Martin will be eager for his players to bounce back in the best way possible by beating one of their main promotion rivals.
The Foxes are in the same boat though, losing their first game of the season at home to Hull after winning every game under new boss Enzo Maresca beforehand.
Maresca’s side were knocked off the top of the table due to that defeat and they will be aiming to reclaim their place by proving their quality at St Mary’s.
Southampton vs Leicester: talkSPORT coverage
This Championship clash will take place on Friday, September 15.
Kick-off at St Mary’s Stadium is scheduled for 8pm.
talkSPORT 2 will have EXCLUSIVE live coverage of the game presented by Olly Clink.
Commentary comes from Jim Proudfoot and former Luton and Swindon striker Sam Parkin.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
The game will also be broadcast live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football.
Most read in Championship
Southampton vs Leicester: Team news
Martin could make a variety of changes after that heavy loss to Sunderland last time out.
Mason Holgate’s debut for the Saints ended after just over an hour as he made a torrid start to life at his new club.
The defender could be replaced by Shea Charles while Carlos Alcaraz and Che Adams are likely to return to the starting line-up on Friday.
As for Leicester, Conor Coady has returned to training following an injury but he is unlikely to be available for selection just yet.
Jamie Vardy is expected to remain on the bench while Kelechi Iheanacho starts up front.
Chelsea loanee Cesare Casadei could be handed his first Championship start for the Foxes after impressing as a substitute.
Southampton vs Leicester: What has been said?
Speaking after Southampton’s 5-0 loss to Sunderland, manager Russell called for his side to learn from their mistakes.
He said: “It’ll be a huge day for learning and for us to make sure that it’s the worst day we all have together this season.
“Because we can’t get away with having that mentality, especially here when you concede two early goals.
“I’m really disappointed. The fans were amazing, even at the end. I’m not just saying that – the way they stayed with the group, and it’s a long way to go.
“I’m really sorry for them. I’m really, really sorry.
“It’s really hurt, it should hurt, and now we have to use that hurt as fuel to learn, move forward and make sure we improve.”
Southampton vs Leicester: Match facts
- Southampton and Leicester are the top-two teams for average possession and successful passes in the Championship this season, with the Saints top (71.4% possession, 3,270 passes) and Foxes second (65.4%, 2,686). In their 5-0 defeat to Sunderland, Southampton were the first Championship side to have 68% possession and ship five goals since Swansea in April 2022 vs Nottingham Forest (70%, lost 5-1), with the Swans then managed by Russell Martin.
- Leicester have won their opening two away league games this season, only the third time they’ve ever done so in a season, previously managing it in 2013-14 (first two) and 2020-21 (first four).
- No team’s Championship games have seen more goals this season than Southampton (22 – 10 scored, 12 conceded). They are the first side to both score and concede 10+ goals in their opening five Championship games of a season since Nottingham Forest in 2016-17 (11 scored & conceded).
- This is the first league encounter between Southampton and Leicester outside the Premier League since 2011-12, with the Foxes winning both Championship meetings that season.
- Southampton won both league meetings against Leicester last season in the Premier League – the Saints haven’t won three in a row in the league against the Foxes since March 2008.
The new talkSPORT match centre
Keep up-to-date with all the latest football fixtures, results and standings in our new match centre.